BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 10, 2007

Is it well?

Someone asked me how things were going with me one day, and I sighed bitterly as I answered...' wo, it is well'..... I said it was well, but I looked farrrrr from well :). I think I am not the only one in this boat of ' ah, it is well' ( sad expression, heavy heart)..... Many people are.

Are you? We all know the story of the woman in the bible that lost her son, and still said; all was well... but, even in our own generation, long after biblical times, someone made the words ' it is well' into a song that has been sung in almost every situation- marriage, burials, new births etc....Usually sung with bitter sweetness; it is a hymn that was composed in total submission to the will of God. I read the story and I was in awe... I wonder what you think---

Here’s the story

Horatio Spafford was a man of God, who lived back in 1828-1888. He lived in Chicago, and was a successful businessman.

In 1871, there was the Great Chicago Fire…one of the greatest disasters of their time, similar to how Hurricane Katrina was a disaster in our time. Many people lost all their possessions. Worse, Horatio Spafford’s son had died of scarlet fever at the age of 4 just prior to the Chicago Fire.

It was around that time that Mr. Spafford decided to make a new start, and to move his family overseas. He arranged to sell what was left of his property, and he bought tickets for himself, his wife, and his four daughters on a ship to take them to Europe. From there, they would move to Jerusalem.

Right before the ship was to set sail, Spafford found out that one of the sales of his property had fallen through. So he sent his wife and his daughters on ahead, while he went back to take care of the sale of his property. He would take the next ship and join them in Europe.

A few days later, Horatio Spafford received a telegram. It was signed by his wife. And there were only two words on it. “Saved alone”.

The ship that Horatio Spafford’s family was on was struck by another ship. It sank quickly. Spafford’s wife made it. But his four little girls did not. They lost their lives when the ship went down.

Spafford soon sailed across the Atlantic to join his grieving wife in Europe. While he was halfway across the Atlantic, the captain called him to the bridge. He pointed out the exact location that his daughters lost their lives, as they sailed past it.

It was then that Spafford wrote the words to the song- It is well:



When peace, like a river, attendeth my way.
When sorrows, like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul.

There is one thing that is certain about life
And that is life is uncertain.
.....................................................................




This story has touched me in so many ways, that I cannot explain. How did he do it? How could he have written out a song saying IT IS WELL.. even when it obviously wasnt? Can I do it?

Can I say it is well, and mean it when everything seems to be going hay wire? where it seems like it is only me in this world? I think we should all ask ourselves that question... I wont lie.. it will be very difficult for me to.


I have learnt from Spafford and many others that no matter what we feel, we need to trust in God and know that he is holding us strong. He loves us so much that he would not want to see us suffer. He sent his only son to die for us.... If he did not love us, he would never have done what he did. Great is God's mercy towards us.


Because we know he loves us, we can say, it is well...... and say it with a smile!!!



Do you have a story to share? have you said it is well lately ( without even seeing that it was well?- but God suprised you and made it really well?.... lets hear it.. people need to be encouraged by you.. share your story... REACH OUT!!!

email me @: bimbyladsblog@yahoo.co.uk

8 comments:

Red Puree said...

Now that is deep!
Four kids in one day.... and IT IS WELL!!!???. That na some serious level.

I am in between "It is well" and "Getting my praise on the highest level" - I really hope to testify soon. Yes very soon.

It sounds weird to just praise when one cannot understand certain things. I guess praise in difficult times has a special aroma to God...The rare scent that visits heaven when the hopeful gives praise through pain ..... When God smells this, breakthroughs come cheaply.

If only I can praise some more. If only I can stop replaying the memories of disappointments in my head.If only I can believe that all things work together for good for them that love Him. If only I can believe that evry thing happens for a purpose..of which i will understand soon. If only I can praise Him some more.....

Bhookey said...

wow, i feel sad, i always say it is well to people whenever they are down or wutnot as in that is my phrase but reading u tell this story sent chills down my spine, such bravery!

Bold and Beautiful said...

As xtians it takes the grace of God to be able to say "it is well" in the midst of challenges.
I often tell people that the difference we have over people that dont believe in God is the fact that we have hope ,we still believe by Faith that there is a greater force than us in our lives ,we always have hope that things God can turn things around,where is their hope ,they just live a day at a time.Thank God am Born Again!

By the way ur doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

If only I could truly say it is well in my heart right now and mean it....Thnks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bimby, I really needed to read this. Most times we say "It is well" but don't really believe it. I guess having faith in the midst of trials is difficult. But at all times, we must remember - without faith, it is impossible to please God.

Sele Akobo(curvyice) said...

hey bimby,
tears wear trickling down my face when i read the story. i have read that story many times n i know that song by heart cos i sing it wenever i am faced with hard times and memories that i want to stay but yet go away.

On april 29th 1996(twas a saturday), my older brother was taken to a river by some guys and drowned. they vowed amongst themselves not to let anyone know. they were all suppose to go home and hide inside their houses.now they were accusted by some guy that lived in our estate wen they were leaving the river, he saw how in haste they were and the looks on their faces and asked them if everything was fine, now this was an older guy and a better swimmer than all of them, and so the probability of getting my brother out was higher with the guy been told the real truth. well they called him bluff and left without syaing a thing to no one. four hours later one of the guys could not stay indoors, he told some otehr guy what had happened and that was how the word got out to people who could do something about it. at this time my mum and dad were at different ends of rivers state attending two different burials not knowing they were going to come back and bury their own FIRST son. my mum came back before my dad. saw a group of people outside the house and thought it was my younger brother,who was a lil sickly at the time. when she was told what had happened she broke out into tears singing this song:
it is well with my soul amidst sobs.my family ahd lost another son to sickle cell disease in 1992. so you can imagine how it would have hit my ma that she would loose two sons withinsuch a time span.
I hurt so much but i song that song along with my mum and strangely wen dad came and was told he also sang that song.
and ever since, that song has been it for me, cos i dont think anything could be worse than loosinga brotehr i loved more than life itself at the time. i sing that song wen im happy, i sing it when im sad, i sing it when i need strength, i sing it when i need a miracle i sing it in my heart when i think of my brothers.......i love that song and have never stopped singing it.

IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL.

Red Puree said...

I am here to testify that God has done it and praise does works wonders.

I will put up the story on my blog at some point.

I pray we will all continue to have testimonies IJN

Anonymous said...

@ curvy ice:

I am moved by your story. God knows best. Be brave, be strong, keep singing, God will never leave nor forsake you. It IS WELL.

to everyone, I am soo sorry for not always updating or even replying to comments, I have no laptop at home and work is restricted. forgive me, but thank you for reading.

I love u all and God bless u...